Almost every parent knows the frustration of buying their child a toy, only to see the novelty fade and the toy sit unused after only a short period of time. These toys often end up as clutter, in storage to even as landfill.
But there is another option – they could find their way to your local toy library.
We are often asked if we take toy donations. The answer is Yes! Thank you. To keep our fantastic toy library running, we rely on sponsorship, grants, fundraising and donations.
What makes a toy suitable for donation?
There are a few key things that make a toy suitable for donation to our toy library. Toys don’t need to be new, but they do need to be in good condition. In general, toys for donation should be:
- well designed, constructed and safe
- made of durable materials, i.e. wood or hard plastic that will withstand the rigours of being a toy library toy
- complete and in good condition
- suitable for children 0 to 8 years old
- easy to clean (not soft toys or teddies)
- easily transported in a car
- large items like activity tables, rocking horses, cosy coupes, etc. are also welcome
What is not suitable for donation to a toy library?
- Soft toys
- toys that need special care or washing
- toys that require a lot of batteries
- toys that are not made of durable materials i.e. thin, flimsy plastic that will break easily
- toys that are broken
Unfortunately we are unable to accept second hand bikes with training wheels
How to donate:
If you have toys you would like to donate you can bring them in during opening hours, or we can arrange to meet you out of hours. Please don’t leave toys by the door or gate when we aren’t open.
We would like to say a big Thank You to everyone who has already donated to our collection. We appreciate your generous support.